The mission of HYLA, through the instruction of lacrosse, shall be to implant firmly in the boys and girls of the community the ideals of good sportsmanship, respect, honesty, loyalty, and courage so that they may be finer, stronger and happier boys and girls.
This Mission will be achieved by providing the following:
o Equal Playing Time on Non Select teams
o Supervised instruction by adequately trained coaches
o Adequate facilities and equipment
o Competitive athletic events
NOTE: All coaches shall bear in mind that the attainment of exceptional individual skill or the winning of games is secondary to HYLA’s mission and vision.
HYLA's vision is for all of Holliston's Youth to enjoy the experience of playing lacrosse
Coaches are expected to embody the principles of the Positive Coaching Alliance as follows:
1. A Coach is a positive motivator and refuses to motivate through fear, intimidation or shame. She establishes order and discipline in a positive manner.
2. A Coach works to remain positive. He recognizes that it is often when things go wrong that a coach can have the most positive impact and teach the most important lessons. He always treats athletes with respect regardless of how well they perform.
3. A Coach coaches for mastery rather than victory, which she sees as a by-product of the pursuit of excellence. She focuses on effort rather than outcome, learning rather than comparison to others.
4. A Coach recognizes that mistakes are an important and inevitable part of learning and encourages an environment in which players are willing to risk making a mistake.
5. A Coach sets standards of continuous learning and improvement for herself and her players. She encourages and inspires players, whatever their level of mastery, to strive to get better without threatening them. She is committed to becoming the best coach she can be and continually seeks to improve her own effectiveness.
6. A Coach "Honors the Game." He feels an obligation to the sport he coaches. He loves his sport and shares his love and enjoyment with his players. He feels privileged to be able to take part in his sport.
7. A Coach respects her opponents, recognizing that a worthy opponent will push her and her team to do their best.
8. A Coach understands the important role that officials play and strives to show them respect even when he disagrees with their decisions.
9. A Coach values the rich tradition of her sport and works to honor the spirit as well as the letter of its rules.
10. A Coach demonstrates personal integrity and would rather lose than win by dishonoring the game. Dishonoring the game is worse than defeat.